Funny Oxygen Sensor Readings

Bob Cunningham bobc at shell2.tiac.net
Mon May 29 01:51:58 GMT 2000

Hi, I'm new to the list.

I am trying to do some tuning with my system, and having some weird
readings from my Oxygen sensor.  When the engine is running slightly rich,
voltage stays about where I would expect it, around 600-700 mv.  However
when I lean it out just a smidge, instead of the reading going to 500 or
so, it takes a nosedive down to about 70-80 mv, with maybe a stop around
200-300 along the way (but doesn't stay there very long). I would think it
should act more linear.

I am used to a sensor being slow to react (lazy) when it goes bad, could
this be an indication of some other problem like a header leak?  I would
think is should still act more linearly...

TIA,

-Bob Cunningham
'69 Buick Special w/ 455