Dissassembling BINS

Jeff Bromberger blownz at home.com
Mon Aug 20 20:39:21 GMT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0309_01C1298E.2A9FDFE0

what ECU is this coming from?  the interpretation of the bytes that you =
pulled out of the prom depends completely on what processor you have... =
there is no such thing as "general" assembly langauge... a 55h byte =
might be a "move" instruction on one processor and a "jump" on =
another... depending on what the processor is there may be utilities to =
convert the binary dump directly into the assembly instructions... then =
you'll need to data book for the processor to understand what those =
instructions are doing... assembly is not necessarily easily readable... =
each processor has its own addressing modes and register layout that =
require you to know some specifics about the architecture...

  I al looking for some help on dissassembling a BIN file obtained from =
my prom.  I understand that the first half of the bin viewed in a hex =
editor is the actual software, and the rest of it are the tables.  So i =
need to split this file up somehow.  Also, if I am to learn the =
language, assembly, is this a specific assembly language for motorola =
chips?  Or is it just general assembly language, becasue I am going to =
need to get a book probably, to learn all this stuff.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

------=_NextPart_000_0309_01C1298E.2A9FDFE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>what ECU is this coming from?&nbsp; the =

interpretation of the bytes that you pulled out of the prom depends =
completely=20
on what processor you have... there is no such thing as "general" =
assembly=20
langauge... a 55h byte might be a "move" instruction on one processor =
and a=20
"jump" on another... depending on what the processor is there may be =
utilities=20
to convert the binary dump directly into the assembly instructions... =
then=20
you'll need to data book for the processor to understand what those =
instructions=20
are doing... assembly is not necessarily easily readable... each =
processor has=20
its own addressing modes and&nbsp;register layout that require you to =
know some=20
specifics about the architecture...</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I al looking for some help on =
dissassembling a=20
  BIN file obtained from my prom.&nbsp; I understand that the first half =
of the=20
  bin viewed in a hex editor is the actual software, and the rest of it =
are the=20
  tables.&nbsp; So i need to split this file up somehow.&nbsp; Also, if =
I am to=20
  learn the language, assembly, is this a specific assembly language for =

  motorola chips?&nbsp; Or is it just general assembly language, becasue =
I am=20
  going to need to get a book probably, to learn all this =
stuff.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any help would be greatly=20
  appreciated!</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0309_01C1298E.2A9FDFE0--