Computing MPH

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Aug 27 15:52:31 GMT 2001

You need Gs and time.  The first derivative of distance is velocity, and
the second is acceleration.  If you take the acceleration info,
numerically integrate w/ respect to time, you'll get velocity.
Integrate one more time and you'll get distance.  It's easy to do:

Take each acceleration data point, multiply by the sampling interval.
Sum these up to get your velocity.  If Gs are in ft/sec^2, you'll get
velocity in ft/sec.  There are other methods of mumerical integration
that are more accurate, you could find them in a starter calculus book.
A faster sampling rate will improve the accuracy of this calculation but
it probably doesn't matter too much if you only want trap speed (vs
speed at other points on the track).

--steve

--
Steve Ravet