junkyard 396ss coolant advice, The answer........

Julia Wakeling tjtbw502 at home.com
Wed Aug 29 03:15:52 GMT 2001

You're not "too far off topic" for me.  That's where I'm coming from.  The
Good O'l days.

Your answer is..........
"Air flow".

Your supposed "1900 CFM" 16 inch fan.  Well....... isn't.

One of my many projects in the garage currently is a '67 Chevelle, Marine
Block 502 Big Block Chevy (siamese cylinder walls) with an 8-71 weiand
blower and dual Holley 950 mech. sec. dbl. pumprs.  Needless to say, it runs
hot.  My problem was trying to get an engine designed to suck up 70 deg. F
lake water, and get it to run in the confines of a radiator system that
doesn't require an onboard 100 gallon kiddie pool.  No matter what electric
fan I tried, none worked.  So, I went testing.

I found that nearly ALL fans that give their ratings in CFM overboasted by
at least 40%.  My dual 2200 CFM electric fan setup pulled no more than 2400
CFM together.  Many of the ratings given are at 16 volts, free spinning.
Not at the opperating 13.4 volts, snuggled close to the radiator.  In
essence, you're only pulling about 800-900 CFM through your radiator in
"actual" numbers.  And that number is about 600-800 CFM LESS than what the
stock 396 requires for air flow.

Here's my suggestion on how to cool a Monster.

Contact Bee-Cool Radiators.  You can get then at most of your local hop-up
shops etc...  Get a 2 core aluminum radiator for your GMC, or anything close
enough to be fabbed up.  A Griffin would work too.  Run a 195 thermastat.
Then, run a standard clutch fan, or aluminum flex fan (prefered) off the
waterpump pulley.  The horsepower loss is negligable.  On a dyno, my engine
lost a whopping 9 horsepower spinning the flex fan fan.  (ohh, it's a 978
horse engine, by the way.)  However, the lower coolant temps showed more of
a gain than the loss from the fan draw.  At 205, the engine ran it's best
with 978 horse, while at 220 F, it pulled only 952.  The lower the temp got,
the horsepower was slightly lower, (140 F, 965, and steadily climbed to 978
at opperating 205).  Carb set-up and timing final advance is most likely the
reasoning for it making the most power at 205 F.  But you'll find the power
where you need it and want it with enough tuning.

The CFM air flow is RPM relevant on a clutch or flex fan, and will pull the
air needed as RPM's increase.  AND it won't block air coming through the
radiator at speed like most electric fans do.  While you're cranking down
the highway, the electric fan is actualy PUSHING air away from your radiator
that would normaly flow right through under it's own velocity.  But since
the electric fan can only pull the ammount it's capable of, any additional
air gets caught in the high pressure area in front of the radiator, and goes
right around it.  So at 65 mph, you're pulling in the same amount of air you
would pull at idle.  Everything else is waste that never gets through the
fins because the fan bottle necks it.  While a clutch fan, or flex fan will
pull exponentialy as engine RPM increases.  And at speed, there is no
"blockage" (aka, the fan on the radiator pulling ONLY what it's speed will
allow) on the radiator itself to hold back additional air flow that naturaly
wants to flow through the radiator.  Once you eliminate the high pressure
area bottle neck, your fan on the water pump will have an easier time
pulling the air charge, as it's already moving through the fins.  Thus,
you'll loose less horsepower than you think you would be loosing by driving
the fan with the engine.

With a Bee Cool 2 core, a flex fan, and a 195 thermastat, my Chevelle runs
205 F all day long.  Even in 105 F weather in traffic.  And it makes the
most horsepower at that temperature.  It's all just a combination of air
flow, and heat transfer.

Tim Wakeling
Unleaded Racing Technologies

Additional notes below: