Dissasemblers, Simos

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Wed Aug 29 15:54:12 GMT 2001

Morten T Nielsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> What is a dissasembler exactly used for?
> I know they are specific for every ecm.

Peter's is actually generic to most GM ECMs.  A disassembler takes the
binary image from the PROM and generates assembly code, similar to what
the engineers originally programmed into it.  The code will be the same
but missing comments, meaningful labels, etc.  Peter's disassembler is
smart in that it seeks out the code and separates it from the data
tables.  In theory you can take this disassembled output, modify the
program code, and re-assemble it.  Or you can look at the code to
understand exactly how the various tables are used by the ECM.

> What possibilitie are there for editing the bin file once extracted from the rom?

That's what the various bin editors are for (winbin, promedit, tunercat,
etc.)  These programs operate directly on the binary image, and are only
capable of editing the data tables.  They have to know exactly where the
tables are, which makes them ECM specific.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com