Fo Orin: Starter Tooth Sensor Question

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 14 07:09:41 GMT 2001

OK Orin--

You seem to be somewhat familiar with the Audi turbo set-up.

So--let's see if we can pick their brains a bit. No point in reinventing
wheels when a reputable mfgr. has done development work, after all !!

1. Does Audi use a mag pick-up or a Hall-effect sensor?

2. Does it face the ring gear radially or from one face?

3. If their sensor faces the ring gear from one face, is it on the same or
the opposite side from the side on which the starter pinion engages?

4. Is it any sort of a "smart" sensor ?? (Any on board digital or analog
signal processing in the sensor?)

5. Do they do any signal processing for this sensor in their ECU??

6. I take it they use a second sensor for a timing pick-up Does this one
pick up from "lugs" added to the flywheel, or from something else?? Is this
one Hall or mag??

7. I also assume they use a third sensor  off the cam or a dizzy shaft to
get cam position?? Again, Hall or mag??

I happen to have one of the Bentley service books for the Quattros, so I
will do some digging too.

Also thinking that a useful ECU function might be to "wife and or bozo
proof" the starter and ring gear-- use a discreet input for a "start"
command and an on/off output to control the starter solenoid via a relay.
Do things like not enable the solenoid if the flywheel sensor is picking up
any engine motion at all, cut juice to the solenoid once the flywheel
sensor frequency goes above a certain level for a particular length of
time, refuse to re-energize the solenoid for "X" seconds after it has been
de-energized (so as to give the starter time to spin down to a full stop).
I'm thinking all of these functions would tend to keep the tooth fairies
away from the ring gear.

Greg (ready for a trip to Santa Fe Audi Parts, just south of Denver, to do
some scrounging)