Adding a gas tank return

Fran and Bud quest100 at gte.net
Fri Dec 28 21:02:07 GMT 2001

IMHO
I believe that it is NECESSARY that the return line returns the fuel to VERY
near the bottom of the tank, well BELOW the fuel level to prevent fuel
aeration.

Another reason to return to the bottom is that fuel flowing thru a line and
discharging thru open air space CAN (not WILL - just can) ignite the vapor
space under certain atmospheric conditions.  Fortunately most of the time
the vapor will be too rich to ignite and besides the weather wont be prone
to static generation - BUT you only have to be the "one in a million" that
it happens to for your whole day to be ruined.

More important to using a tank that was not originally intended for EFI is
an well or a baffle for the fuel pickup to assure that the pump does not
suck air when the fuel level is low or when slosh from cornering, hard
acceleration, or braking can uncover the inlet.

I have had good luck for years in adding things like outlets or returns by
cutting a 2 1/2" or 3" disc from some heavy sheet metal with a hole saw and
then brazing tubing or fittings into it and drilling a 4 to 6 hole pattern
near the outside edge.  It can then be fastened over a small hole in the
tank using cork or neoprene gasket material and bolted down with 4-6 self
tapping sheet metal screws.  If you want to get fancy you can use threaded
inserts and machine screws.  In any case all of the fabrication is external
to the tank except for cutting the extra hole in it, and vacuuming out the
shavings.

Bud