Max fuel pressure for 0280 150 945

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Jul 19 12:26:32 GMT 2001

Richard Wakeling wrote:
> Its running lean on the race track and I have been scratching my head.
> Fuel pressure on boost from a rising rate FPR is just on 400 kPa.
>     Does any body know if running 4 bar (400 kPa or 58 PSI) on the Bosch
> 0280 150 945 red 30 lb/hour injectors is too much fuel pressure.
>     These injectors have 4 delivery holes and I would assume to be of
> the rotary type injector. I have heard that too much pressure can be a
> problem with rotary injectors compared with pintle types.

What's the injector duty cycle when you go lean?  Here are some
off-the-cuff guesses as to your configuration: 2.6l, 300 HP, AFR
12:1, 85% VE, SFC 0.55 lb/hr/hp.  This gives an injector size
requirement of about 365 cc/min @ 85% duty cycle and your 315 cc/min
at 58 psi gives, ah, 315*sqrt(58/43) = 366 cc/min rating, which
I'd call very marginal.  Coupled with the fact that you are running
such high fuel pressure, I'd say your injectors are too small.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA