[Diy_efi] current sense MOSFETs

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Aug 2 04:30:15 GMT 2002

phil,

That could work.  But note that simply by going to an FET
regulator (possibly with lower resistance than your example)
you might as well use it for both voltage and current control.
You have now gotten rid of 1 1/2 to 2 volts of loss.  That is
already enough.  You could now reduce the resistor by 2/3s
and get another volt if you really need it, without even using
that current sensing FET.  But this just transfers more heat
to the FET; I'd rather heat the resistor some.

I think the FET is best placed in the negative leg of the heater
load, makes measurements and gate drive a lot simpler.  It
will not be as simple as the DIY-WB, but there is a trade off
here.  I use such a circuit.

Bruce Roe