[Diy_efi] intake manifold runlengths

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Mon Aug 12 16:03:36 GMT 2002

Hi guys,

I am thinking of upgrading an X16SZR 1.6 liter
4 cylinder 55kW GM-Multec CFI (TBI)
engine (same block as C16SE 74kW - TPI)
with a better intake manifold (the engine is
breathing limited). I want to stay with TBI.

My question is how much do small (2 cm) difference
count between the runlength of different
cylinders' port? (ports 1,4 are longer than 2,3. All
are shorter than original lengths).

I assume that with a custom self programmed injection
I could set the pre-inj times different for the
cylinders, but with the stock GM chip that is "not
possible" (and I would rather stay with the stock
chip for a while).
I obviously do not want world champion performance,
this is just for fun.

Is coal-epoxy OK for the manifold ?(as long as it is smooth enough?)
I think it should be, given moderate T and p of an intake manifold.

On most TBI's the air runs downwards when the injector fires in the
middle, parallel to the air's velocity vektor.
Would it be a problem if the tube where injection and the
butterfly lives is not vertical (say 45 degrees instead).

Does someone have something usable about this
2001-made X16SZR motor (exact valve geometry) or GM-Multec CFI 's ECM,
beside the error codes? I am not sure if this is the old
eprom-type ECM.

thanx:
 Marcell

--
If I checked correctly the one'file' 2000 lines code for
the efi board compiled 22kbyte for x86. (68k should not be much