[Diy_efi] MAF calibration

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 18 14:26:47 GMT 2002

no, I think you are going up the wrong path to recal the MAF... :(

Why, because a 'properly' cal'd MAF tells you how much air the engine
is using, its up to the ECU mapping to handle the larger injectors,

Think of it this way, the less variables you need to handle/tamper
with in any control system then the greater chance the human mind
has to arrive at a viable and practical outcome (erazmus;)

I also have a turbo engine, its a 3L nissan straight 6 running
a garett T3 at around 10 to 10.5psi boost and the facttory MAF
can just handle the flow - which is above factory settings,

I have a remapped ROM in the ECU supplied by an Australian
company which is a short term measure but is much easier then
fiddling with the MAF curves,

I did however (in the early days) make a staged gain amp,
which for the 70% or so of normal (log) output the gain is
unity (1.0) but for the more flow the greater the gain
which effectively richens the mixture more then any ECU
mapping because the ECU is fooled into thinking the engine
is using more air then it really is and consequently the
pulse to the injectors is longer. However tests over some
2 years showed this used far more fuel then it should of
and needed frequent adjustment as the staged gain amp
was a simple analog amp with no secondary or tertiary
compensation factors,

If I wanted to turbo a factory engine, I'd get an
ECU that could be straightforwardly mapped for larger
injectors and handle a MAF with a larger throat *but*
I would definitely not adjust the MAF output, just change
*one* set of mapping in the ECU for the injectors,

Rgds

Mike