[Diy_efi] LS1 coils, smart or dumb?

Derek derek_obanion at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 17:58:50 GMT 2002

I checked the achieves, and got lots of posts related to this question, but it
never seemed to get settled.

I know the LS1 coils have the ignitor/module/driver built in. I know they are
activated by a 5V signal from the ECU. But what I don't know for sure is if the
coils are "smart" (adjusting the dwell) or "dumb" (dwell set by signal from
ECU).

The statement I saw most was that they were in fact dumb, starting the coil
charge when a 2.7V+ signal was sent to the IGN input, and discharging when the
signal dropped to 0V. In this way the dwell is controlled by the ECU or whatever
you are using as a signal generator. Is this correct?

Also, is the 4-pin plug for each coil a standard 4-pin weatherpack? Looks like
it.