[Diy_efi] Knock Detection using GM ESC Module

marko.cosic marko.cosic at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 1 22:45:51 GMT 2002

> That is a little clearer!  Hmm... strange how it
> is neither black or white, kinda both.  I always
> tune for the typical 'tan'

<snip>

are supposed to go,
> etc.  I'm at a loss, sorry!

Problenm sorted now cheers - turned out to be an ECU earthing fault. Plugs,
leads, cap, rotor, king lead were all new, two coil tried both good 2nd
hand, fuel delivey, vacuum hoses etc etc checked - nothing. ECU earth
connection had died somewhere in the loom, and the misfire seemed to become
time-related - would work for x mins on idle, then y mins (less) on power (I
guess because the joint heated quicker because of increased current demand
at higher duty). New earth wire and all was solved, though I was reluctant
to do so as the wiring diagram looked scary! Apparently the Rover MEMS
system compensates for low battery voltage and increases injector open time
accordingly - whichprobably didn't help diagnosis - it was trying and
succeeding to compensate for the poor state of affairs. Could well have been
doing so for ages without us knowing!