[Diy_efi] Cam duration & MAP sensors

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Mon Jun 3 20:25:56 GMT 2002

Unless you are building an out and out race motor you shouldn't have
problems with MAP as long as you are careful with tuning. You may need to
put some filtering into the MAP line (a restriction and a can of some sort)
but other than that it should work.

I've been working with some friends putting an SD system on a motorbike
engine. This is proving tricky to get idle right, but there are other
contributing problems and we are sure we can crack it. I would doubt you
would have cams anywhere near that wild on your 327, unless you are aiming
for 600BHP+.

My cynical side thinks that the 'you must use alpha-n for hot motors' story
is mainly propagated by the aftermarket ECU manufacturers to cover up
deficiencies in their product. I am still trying to find a case where an
experienced tuner couldn't make SD work so I have a reference to work from.
If someone out there knows this limit please let me know.

Bill