[Diy_efi] Use O2 sensor on motorcycle?

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Jun 3 20:30:56 GMT 2002

On Fri, 31 May 2002 22:33:02 -0500, bcroe at juno.com wrote:

>To run a WB you'll need 14 volts at near 1.5 amps, less will not=20
>succeed.  If you have no battery, I doubt the power is clean=20
>enough or properly regulated to work.

Nope, not so. This limitation is ONLY true of the 'dweeb-o-meter' (aka
diy-wb). To make this generic a statement "to run a WB..." is a bit
misleading. I just recently posted the names of whole bunch of
commercial products that WILL work on well below ALT output levels.

I won't go the other way and claim even a pen-light will power a real
WBO2 meter, but surely if you're interested mainly in tuning, you could
outfit yourself at least temporarily with a sufficiently sized battery
for your tuning runs, that WOULD power just about any small AFR meter
product (I'm obviously excluding bench-top and dyno-shop models).

Even a dinky 14ah motorcycle battery would give you *several hours* of
tuning time between recharges. And ANY commercial AFR meter available
today will work on such a battery voltage, EXCEPT of course for that
dweeb-stuff.

Gar