[Diy_efi] OT: Tunning TDi engines, advice sought

TVS toby at kmvs.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 21:49:58 GMT 2002

> The engine is a 4 cylinder, 2.5liter with a 90.5mm bore 97mm stroke. It
> produces 110hp @ 4,000RPM and 195b ft @ 1,800RPM. Valve are 39/36.5mm
> inlet/exhaust The turbo is a Allied signal unit with max boost of 0.83 to
> 1.04 The intercooler is small and robustly made with a very thick casting.

> Is the pump an electronic one, or a mechanical one?
> If it's electronic, you need to find out who makes your controller.
> Then we can tell if there's anything you can do.

No, its all mechanical. The later ones do have a ECU but as far as I know
that's only for EGR for emissions.

Typically, on a engine of this kind, will the injector pump pressure be
sufficient if, say, the boost pressure was dubbed? Is it advisable to reduce
the CR if running high boost pressures? Its currently 19.5:1, obviously it
can't go much lower otherwise the engine wouldn't run with boost pressure.
Would a custom cam with earlier exhaust valve opening and later inlet valve
closing be worth while? The engine makes peak power at 4krpm but is factory
red lined at 4,600rpm.

There are a good few of these engine being used, but the normal tuning
procedures (if that's what they can be called) normally result in the engine
lasting about one season! I've heard of people removing the turbo waste gate
diaphragm and bolting the waste gate shut. I want to do this job properly
and do it once.

Many thanks indeed, Toby