[Diy_efi] WB O2 and Alternate Fuels

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Fri Jun 21 18:27:25 GMT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:35:36 -0400, Barry Tisdale
<btisdale at cybersol.com> wrote:

>Sheesh, more than I ever wanted to know......  Like I said, my prime =
focus=20
>here was getting a flat AFR curve over varying RPMs & loads.  Just threw=
=20
>the H2O/alky injection tidbit into the pot because I'd happened to =
record=20
>it - I haven't a clue as to what the numbers meant.

I understood that, and wasn't trying to force-feed you personally. I
used your example as an object-lesson, in trying to lay the groundwork
for why we might need to be aware of these issues, to avoid
miscommunication or unintentionally "comparing apples to oranges".

That's why if you (not you Barry, but the 3rd person plural like y'all)
don't care to take anything else away from that ponderous tome I just
posted, at least try to be aware when you're speaking in terms of
"indicated" AFR versus actual AFR. If you want to be clear on that, you
could say, "my *indicated AFRs* for this run were", blah-d-blah. Because
it's also clear with AFR meters becoming affordable and more widely
used, that there are various levels of awareness about their
limitations, if not the actual understanding of what the numbers mean.
Not to mention some that don't read actual AFRs even with petrol!

BTW, if you (Barry) are going to be experimenting with alcohol/water
mixtures, don't you *want* to know what the numbers mean? With your
equipment and a little help from your vendor, you'd be in a position to
play with various alk/h2o mixes and your "best numbers", and potentially
make a significant contribution to the subject. I'm assuming you're
going to be playing further with your AquaMist. I'd personally like to
hear the results. It (water injection) has some especially attractive
attributes for aviation use, during TO. Only time we truly need highly
reliable and highly available peak power. The relatively small weight
penalty (plus you *consume* the weight penalty) makes it look very
attractive.

Interesting topic. Anyone else with decent equipment planning on
experimenting with H2O injection w/alk, nos, turbo, s/c?

Gar