[Diy_efi] injector placement

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 22 00:16:40 GMT 2002

At 10:14 PM 6/20/02, john smith wrote:
> Been thinking about fuel economy. Perhaps doing something to aid
>atomization or keeping fuel in suspension rather than sitting on the
>manifold wall waiting to be sucked into the cylinder. I am looking at
>motorcycle engines and from what I have seen carbs can be more economical
>and put out more power. The main reason for FI seems to be drivability and
>emission control. If you think about it fuel drawn from a carb jet is in a
>moving airstream all the time whereas the injected fuel is often squirted
>in when the valve is closed and probably turns back to liquid while it is
>waiting. Although I have read part of a SAE paper which said the fuel
>atomization and mixing doesnt take place until the last phase of the
>compression stroke.

You're on a productive train of thought here. Think "air atomization" and
timing the injection of finely atomized fuel with high velocity flow of air
in the intake port. Or, alternatively, perhaps developing a way to modulate
the jetting in  IR style Weber carbys electronically (a la the electronic
Quadrajets) might be a reasonable alternative approach !!

There _IS_ a reason why IR Webers get significantly better WOT BSFC than
injection does !!

Greg

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen different effects from different
placements.