[Diy_efi] tiny injection

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:15:00 GMT 2002

For Small engines I have been thinking about a centrifugal supercharger made
from a vaccum cleaner impeller, overdriven by means of a small cog belt
drive. The bearing support section could be a basic aluminum plate, and the
compressor housing could be fiberglass(or CF). The whole thing could be made
with common garage tools and a drill press. An order of magnitude simpler
than sizing a turbo to the application.

Centrifugal blowers are realy quite simple devices(and SERIOUSLY
OVER-PRICED). Another thing to consider is if using a carb make sure its a
"draw through" configuration, since the small engine carbs use a low
pressure fuel supply system. A "draw through" also lets the impeller spin
with low drag in the high vaccum of part throttle and cruise conditions.
Full size car centrifugals like Vortech, ATI, Paxton/NOVI and the like
expose the compressor to full atmospheric pressure at all times and have to
have a "bypass" system open most of the time, This wastes energy during
normal driving(its done this way to make the kits "bolt on's").
The real problem with supercharging a small 2 stroke is determining how much
you can boost it before youre just blowing it through the exhaust. Small
4-strokes would be another story.

Just my $.02
Marvin Fugate