[Diy_efi] tiny injection

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:16:28 GMT 2002

> > I didn't really think RC nitro engines needed to be injected, nor did I
> > think it would really help performance.  I just thought it might be a
>fun
> > little project, and provide some serious bragging rights.  Also, they
>are
> > starting to make four-stroke Nitro engines, and I thought it might be
>kind
> > of cool to have an injected one of those.

Well My reason for being interested in fuel injecting small engines is to
decrease BSFC in My Battlebot. I dont expect much power improvment over the
walbro/tolliston carbs but better efficency during idle and mid-range would
be real nice! I'm only allowed 16 fl ozs of gasoline in a non pressurized
tank. Electric fuel pumps are forbidden, mechanical fuel pumps are required
to be attached directly to the engine and be directly driven from the engine
with a direct connection to the carb.
16 ounces of gas has to last for the whole 3 minute fight, plus idling time
before the fight starts, every drop of gas I can save will help.
I also need MY battlebot to stay running when it gets flipped over. This
rulse out float bowl carbs and MOST 4-stroke engines due to oiling
problems(there are exceptions). So My solution is a "bank" of 31cc Ryobi
weedwacker engines,driving a main shaft via small cog belts. The main shaft
drives a hydraulic pump and has a small electric starter.
I think I'm going to try to make a fuel injection system similar to the OS
setup, probably after the november tournament.
The strict fuel limit effectivly limits the horsepower levels of gas
engines, while electric powered bots have no limits (except for a voltage
limit).

Marvin Fugate