[Diy_efi] tiny injection

Marc Reviel marc at powerlogix.com
Wed Jun 26 15:53:28 GMT 2002

>Full size car centrifugals like Vortech, ATI, Paxton/NOVI and the like
>expose the compressor to full atmospheric pressure at all times and have to
>have a "bypass" system open most of the time, This wastes energy during

Actually, it cavitates.  The "bypass" is not there to continually bypass
s/c flow; it is there to 'blow-off' the large surge when the throttle
plate slams shut.  The blow-off valve is always manifold vaccuum
activated.  At least this is the way it is *supposed* to be designed.
Some systems utilize a continual bypass for getting to max boost earlier,
then blowing off the excess.

When the s/c cavitates, it is almost as good as being in a vaccuum.  The
air near the impellor is swirling like a blender using very little power
to do so.  Keep in mind, it's not moving the air, thus very little work
is being done.  It works very well.

One thing we are working on is a dual throttle body set-up where a
computer controlled t/b is placed before the s/c.  This approach allows
the s/c to be sized much more aggressively for much earlier boost, as
well as slightly more efficient operation.  (Recall that all these crank
driven centrifugal s/c have a boost output linear with RPM - a
disadvantage compared to exhaust-driven, or pos. displacement.) Like a
wastegate function, except there is no "waste."

Marc Reviel
PowerLogix, http://powerlogix.com, co-owner/CTO
Forced-Air Systems of Texas, http://www.f-a-s-tonline.com, co-owner