[Diy_efi] RE: Intercooled question (now AC advocacy)

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Wed Jun 26 17:40:13 GMT 2002

Original message:
---------------------
From: "Programmer" <nwester at eidnet.org>
To: <Diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Intercooled question
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:49:29 -0600

If you look at the manufacturers' bottom line, there's only two approved
refrigerants for automotive use. R12 and R134a. I've been doing A/C work for
the past 18 years, and R134a often works better than R12 did...and it works
just great in a system designed  for R12, regardless of what you hear...just
jump through the simple hoops and it's done. Most people tend to overcharge
the system since they look at the R12 amount--and think R134a has to be
a similar charge...it doesn't work that way. I could care less what some
website
that promotes alternatives, says...I know what works.

Lyndon
HRAI Certification among others...

There's a whole can of worms here you're dancing around, about what
manufacturers
want/don't want us to use for refridgerants.  R134A has ONE advantage over
blends.
It's a single compound and doesn't fractionate over time.  R134A is not
miscible in
R12 mineral based oils, so you have to add another oil to the system,
PAG/POE oils
are preferred, but break down in the presence of chlorine atoms, which R12
hoses are
chock full of.  So you go with a substandard ester based oil to keep oil
flowing at
all.  Note I didn't say that the retrofits DON'T work, I said that the
performance
isn't as good as R12.  You can pull up at a gas station and pump 87 octane
gas into
your 11:1 comp hotrod too, and it'll run, but not very good eh?

Mark
MACS certified/Mechanical Engineer/10 year AC dabbler/blah blah blah.