[Diy_efi] I must be asking lame questions. Now a correction to a posting

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Wed May 8 00:34:44 GMT 2002

In a message dated 5/7/02 6:57:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, nacelp at bright.net
writes:

> Gee, from the way I read it the value starts at 019, and includes 01A.  So
>  an entry of 00 77 in hex would be 117 dec, and times 90, and divided by 256
>  gives the magic answer.   Some entries are listed as FCB and some FDB.
>  Feel free to verify with an ecm bench (I would in no circumstances suggest
>  testing to see if you could exceed the limit of ~41d).
>  Bruce

OK, so I didn't know what FCB and FDB mean. But if the value in 01A were FF,
that would be 90 degrees maximum spark advance. Why would you ever need to go
higher than 90 degrees SA at the crank? Only on a 4 cylinder could you even
need 90 degrees. And since 90 degrees at the crank translates to 45 degrees
at the cam (distributor), you are really protecting from going past the
halfway point under the distributor cap. It didn't occur to me that you would
need two locations to describe max SA. And at 90 degrees, why should it.

But the real question is so what if I learn things on here that I use to help
me make money? You choose not to but why hold that decision against me. I'm
not the only one, I'm just the one who gets under your skin for some reason.
I'm also not going to sit back and take your abuse without calling you on it.
The archives are full of people who've gotten into flames with you, so I'll
leave it at that. And if you don't want to help me, don't.

JW