[Diy_efi] : Ask the experts #2

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri May 17 18:41:14 GMT 2002

Let's just look at things,
the best manifolding I know of is Independent Runners.

Do the best you can with the runners.
Large Plenum.
Large single butterfly,
and have fun.

In the Helmholtz I've seen they tend to ignore things like actually havin=
it work.  ie on the v6s they split the manifold, and then you instantly l=
ose
the large plenum, and you need two TBs.

One single throttle body drops the inertia of the incoming air and lets t=
he
air *bend* around, and makes for better cylinder filling.

The trouble with the large plenum is it needs more AE, and then emission
folks just can't stand you using too much fuel.   So what few things look
like Helmholtz to me, aren't really what they appear to be.
Bruce
   Lil guys are greasing the trailer's wheel bearings getting ready for
skiing season.

> In thinking about how to build a lo-rise manifold for a 60=B0 V6 I've b=
een
> looking at Helmholtz resonators. On paper this seems to be a viable
> solution, but there is little I can find on the practicalities for
> automotive design. I wondered if anyone had built one of these, and if =
so

> a) Do they work in practice?
> b) Are they fairly high Q devices in reality?
> c) When calculating the resonant frequency do you set the period based =
on
> single inlet cycle or such that the pressure pulse comes back for the n=
ext
> valve opening?
> d) One article i did find indicated that, for a v configuraion you need=
> seperate resonator for each bank, but didn't really explain why. Any
ideas?