[Diy_efi] vortec engine piston noise?

J. Creech jcreech1 at olemac.net
Fri May 24 17:43:12 GMT 2002

> My point is that if GM is going to build these trucks, they
> should do it right.  They have been in business for enough years, they
> know what people want and what they don't want.  They know what makes
> an engine last and what doesn't.  If they can't make a 300 hp engine
> and make it quiet, then they shouldn't put it into a vehicle that
> they're designing to be a big, quiet car.  But the thing is, other
> companies are doing it and not having problems.
>
> Shannen

Well, I wouldn't exactly say they're NOT having problems. Anyone with a '97-'02 Dodge Ram
with either the 5.2(318) or 5.9(360) Magnum might have an argument with you. Not for
reliability issues, but ping. Some have claims that it's so bad, that the resulting
detonation has damaged the engine (burned valves, cracked rings, pistons). I have a '99
and it pings under part-throttle load, such as pulling 2% or greater grades.

The only thing DC says will fix it, is a Re-Flash of the computer, and DC notes that you
WILL lose power and mileage (god forbid the mileage!). Plus, once you have it Flashed, DC
WILL NOT put it back if you don't like it. Tough, they say. From talking to people that
have had the PCM Re-Flashed, my ping isn't that bad after all.

Before I did a little research (and before DC came up with their "solution") I took it in
to my dealer and complained about it. I was told by the service-snot that it was "normal".
I corrected him, and replied "You mean it's COMMON? For a fuel-injected engine to ping
under light loading, is not NORMAL." He was like "Uh, yeah, I mean common, blah, blah,
blah..." I walked out before he even finished talking. Probably suited him just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ram. I've just come to ignore the ping, but I'm unlikely to
buy another DC product.

I'm told (hearsay alert!) that Ford has had a similar problem with their light-duty trucks
too.

5-Star Dealer my Ass.....

-Scott