[Diy_efi] GM EFI on Aircooled 2L engine

Bobby Riggs bobbyriggs at yahoo.com
Sun May 26 01:35:58 GMT 2002

Have you got the '749 bin to work in a '730?  I
was reading some old post about this...  I have
been tinkering around with Programmer writing a
'custom' bin based on what a typical 2L (VW)
motor consumes and vaccume signals it will give.
Based off the AZTY.BIN file.  Do you think when
I'm done I should burn a 27c256 (120ns or faster)
and just give it a shot?  I can get ECU's in my
area for about $40 and can NEVER find '749s.  I
seen a Turbo sunbird ONCE, in all the yards
(about 6-8), it was completely stripped..  I
don't want to buy one off the 'net.

2) I wasn't really planning on deleting the VSS
just DISABLING it, as in the Malf code it would
give if I never had it :) could I just keep
disabling Malf codes until the SES light goes
away, or fix the problem, depending on what it
was?   I would either build a eprom emulator, or
a Kalmaker type device and just keep plugging
away until it was 'right'.

Basically has anyone modified these enough to get
them to run on NON engine specific vehicles?
(conversion perversions :)  I'm not a fan of
dumping a waterpumper in the back even though it
would be actually WAAAAY easier.  Thanks for your
help guys!
-Bobby
'71 Fastback, '73 squareback
'73 superbeetle, 2 '74 supers
'73 Westy camper 2L  and that just the german
cars we have around :)