[Diy_efi] GM EFI on Aircooled 2L engine

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sun May 26 03:06:05 GMT 2002

In a message dated 5/25/2002 9:39:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bobbyriggs at yahoo.com writes:

>  Have you got the '749 bin to work in a '730?  I
>  was reading some old post about this...  I have
>  been tinkering around with Programmer writing a
>  'custom' bin based on what a typical 2L (VW)
>  motor consumes and vaccume signals it will give.
>  Based off the AZTY.BIN file.  Do you think when
>  I'm done I should burn a 27c256 (120ns or faster)
>  and just give it a shot?  I can get ECU's in my
>  area for about $40 and can NEVER find '749s.  I
>  seen a Turbo sunbird ONCE, in all the yards
>  (about 6-8), it was completely stripped..  I
>  don't want to buy one off the 'net.

Roll up your sleeves and go for it.
I picked up a 88 Sunbird ECM and complete engine harness
on ebay for $100 a few months back.  You can do it cheaper
"if" you locate a good donor car at the JY, but what is your time
worth?  Get the 2.0 Sunbird distributor too.  Turbo & Non-turbo
were the same dissy.  It may give you something to analyse
(or canabalize) when making the bug dissy work with an ECM.
Fake the speed sensor somehow.
I think it is needed in the 749 Turbo code, or you will get
an annoying fast idle condition eventually.
Cheers,
Mike V - Working when I should be playing.