[Diy_efi] fuel injection for an airplane engine

Erik Meisterman emeister at telus.net
Sun May 26 17:51:04 GMT 2002

--=======639A4BC6=======

Sean,
A top mounted TBI system feeding thru 4 runners to 140HP heads is a comparatively simple and cost effective path to EFI.  It's been done many times and really improves the power and economy.  The 4barrel centre mount carbs were very prone to icing, and some ended up using an oil heated carb adapter base.  This adapter was very effective as an oil cooler as a secondary benefit.

I have the 110HP heads which originally used 1 carb per cylinder bank; not as flow efficient as the 140HP heads.  Due to budget constraints (cheap), the initial system will probly use a side draft TBI mounted to a carbon fiber plenum with stainless steel (swimming pool rail) runners feeding the existing carb mount holes on top of the intake logs.  Port injection is preferable due to runner/intake wall  wetting issues, but many are quite happy with the center mount TBI.

Last nite, I hacked off the intake log off a junk head, and noticed it wouldn't take very much creative welding to blend  the injector elbow flange from a Ford Escort into  the ports in the Corvair head.  Heat distortion of welding or brazing heads, and fuel rail construction may be  issues.  Will post a website once something substantially developed, for now the EFI is a boxload of disjointed pieces.
There are many ways to  EFI, Ray Sedman's website has a beautiful professional big buck application and a fella named McMurchie (sp) is going econo route by direct mounting  TBI's to replace carbs on 110HP heads.  Don't have their websites handy, but indicative of the many EFI options available depending on your position on the cost curve.

Erik Meisterman   (AirHeads forever)

At 10:31 AM 5/26/2002 -0500, Sean wrote

>Erik,
>
>I am researching EFI systems on a corvair engine and was wondering how you
>setup the intake (plenum, runners, injectors, fuel rails).  Also, did you
>mill the intake off (tri-port) to get individual runners?
>
>I am currently planning to use a centermount 4 barrel carb adapter with 4
>downtubes (I've got the 140HP heads) with an adpater plate to fit a TBI
>from a 2.8/3.1 GM motor.  To me, this seems the cheapest/easiest way to
>start.  Eventually I'd like an individual runner system, but my
>fabrication skills need a lot of work before I attempt that.
>
>Sean

---