[Diy_efi] fuel injection for an airplane engine

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Mon May 27 22:11:55 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Garfield Willis <garwillis at msn.com>
To: <Diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] fuel injection for an airplane engine

On Mon, 27 May 2002 21:19:18 +0100, "William Shurvinton"
<shurvinton at orange.net> wrote:

>I have been resisting on this topic, mainly due to a lack of knowledge
about
>what is needed for a 'safe' aircraft, but here goes, feet first

>Suggestion: if in an area you feel hesitant to stick your feet first in,
>ASK a question. Hell, ask alot of questions both feet first. For
>example, noting that Brian mentioned a backup IGN system AND a backup
>fuel system
Yup

>(did you miss that too?)

Nope., I wasn't replying to his post, I was replying to the original post
from Ron.Didn't make that clear, sorry.

<SNIP>
>>depending on what is needed.

>Here's where an example of asking would have paid off

Sorry language barrier again. In English the qualifying statement used above
indicates that I was not sure that this was an applicable analogy. Also NB
that I hang around with guys at work who glide and when they do use a prop
tend to use designs that can glide for 14 miles or so with no engine from
cruising altitude. Handy when flying to France. My reference point, which
biases my view without additional data.

>Nope, it has to do with the history of where FI in aviation came from,

Aha!

<snip>
> Lots of ways to skinDcat.

Agreed

>The point is just because someone is using an automotive targeted ECU,
>whether OEM or aftermarket, in his aviation scheme, doesn't imply
>there's been no FEEMAH (as the acronym FMEA is pronounced in the
>industry).

Maybe in your industry not in mine :-) But, if other listers are not
aerospace/military types they won't have this mindset.It's always worth
mentioning again in case someone somewhere thinks up something new isn't it?

> And if he's already disclosed a backup scheme, you can
>reasonably assume he's aware of the issues. At least you should give the
>guy the benefit of the doubt.

Refer back to note on which post I was referring to.

>Yes, you're right it IS a fascinating sidebar to the wider topic of diy
>EFI in general. Airplanes, boats, cars, etc. they all have their cool
>sidebars. Like Yogi Berra used to say, "You can observe alot just by
>watching". Oh, I said that already. Well, bears repeating.

>Gar

I'm a dumb limey. Who is Yogi Berra?

Bill
P.S. have learned good new things. Thanks

fi