[Diy_efi] fuel injection for an airplane engine

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon May 27 22:54:27 GMT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002 23:04:20 +0100, "William Shurvinton"
<shurvinton at orange.net> wrote:

>>Suggestion: if in an area you feel hesitant to stick your feet first =
in,
>>ASK a question. Hell, ask alot of questions both feet first. For
>>example, noting that Brian mentioned a backup IGN system AND a backup
>>fuel system
>>(did you miss that too?)
>
>Nope., I wasn't replying to his post, I was replying to the original =
post
>from Ron.Didn't make that clear, sorry.

You mean Bruce; there was no Ron you quoted. Just Bruce's post, and what
he plucked from Brian's. But that means you read Bruce's reply, but you
didn't read Brian's post which Bruce conveniently snipped, eliding
Brian's comment about backups? Yeah, that's a problem dropping into a
thread midway, especially when the heart's been snipped out of it. You
ought to go back and read Brian's initial post that started all this
then, dontcha tink? Or did you indeed see his statements about the
backup IGN and fueling?

>>The point is just because someone is using an automotive targeted ECU,
>>whether OEM or aftermarket, in his aviation scheme, doesn't imply
>>there's been no FEEMAH (as the acronym FMEA is pronounced in the
>>industry).
>
>Maybe in your industry not in mine :-) But, if other listers are not
>aerospace/military types they won't have this mindset.It's always worth
>mentioning again in case someone somewhere thinks up something new isn't=
 it?

Presumption has no excuse, regardless of where you work The person
replied to by Bruce stated plainly he had backups in his design. So no,
taking him to task for potentially inappropriately using an auto ECU
wasn't "worth mentioning again". It wasn't even worth mentioning the
first time.

>> And if he's already disclosed a backup scheme, you can
>>reasonably assume he's aware of the issues. At least you should give =
the
>>guy the benefit of the doubt.
>
>Refer back to note on which post I was referring to.

Not so easy. Your note was in error, in that you apparently didn't know
the context in which you replied. You replied to a thread, not a single
post, but an ongoing discussion.

>I'm a dumb limey. Who is Yogi Berra?

One of America's premier 20th century philosophers, who just happened to
also play Catcher with the New York Yankees for spending money. Here's
another one of his astute observations that seems so timely just now, if
only some would observe it:

	"If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer."

Corollary: if the above is considered wise, then surely, "If there's
something you don't know, don't go preaching it to everybody on the
loudspeaker". :)

>Bill
>P.S. have learned good new things. Thanks

Questions work even better, when you have something to learn. Too bad
that lesson is lost sometimes. Good to see not on you, Bill. :-;

Even the primitive mechanical FI first used in aviation has alot of
interesting and informative wrinkles that you won't find anywhere else,
including in early automotive mechanical FI. It's different not just
because for aviation, but because different minds in different
industries worked on similar problems, and so came up with interesting
contrasts in their solutions. Lots to observe just by watching.

Gar