[Diy_efi] Harley Davidson ion sensing ignition

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 15:56:44 GMT 2002

--- Phil Hunter <diy-efi at t-n-e.com> wrote:

> My question is more along the lines of "can H-D's
> ignition be used, in whole or in part, to make it
> easier to build our own Ion Sense ignition?" Itza
> Coil-On-Plug, so due to the V2 engine config, I'd
> _assume_ they are individual coils vs. the 4-C.O.P.-
> in-one-module that Saab uses.

They must be individual coils, since the V-Rod does
not use waste-fire.  It's pretty standard these days
to use individual stick coils on motorcycles.

> Can the High Voltage supply that has to be "in there
> somewhere" be used, saving us the trouble and risk
> of making it ourselves?

Well, I don't think anyone here is a Harley factory
mechanic currently, so the only answer would be to
poke around and find out.

I would wager, however, that the ion-sensing is built
into their engine management box, so unless you were
going to run an engine with the same v-angle, I doubt
you'd find anything off a V-Rod useful except the coils.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |