[Diy_efi] Jitter Filter for 36 LED bar graph display

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Oct 25 16:00:22 GMT 2002

Quite a few 36 LED display boards have gone out to those
using the DIY-WB and possibly other WB units to tune their
GM ecms, motorcycles, etc.  I have gotten some more
feedback from the field on the display.

As designed the 36 LED display pretty much shows whatever
the WB unit generates.  However, this includes quite a bit of
jitter or flicker of the exact point.  Maybe 3 LEDs worth.  After
some experimentation, it appears some signal filtering will
stabilize the display (but not affect logging) WITHOUT affecting
the practical matter of tuning.

Some have asked about the optional C9 in the display board,
this is its purpose.  The question was, HOW MUCH filtering?
The answer received, is C9 should be a 1 mfd non polar (don't
use electrolytic/tantalum cap).  Use .47 mfd for less filtering.
For more filtering, increase R6 from 4.7K to 10K or possibly
18K (5% is fine).  Or just put extra resistance in series with
pin 10, it adds to R6.  A Dig*key 1 mfd cap is BC1139CT-ND

Bruce Roe