[Diy_efi] Water metanol turbo assist - was Argon turbo

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 5 16:47:12 GMT 2003

At 7:14 AM 1/5/03, Ohio Benz wrote:

>My concerns are pretty much centered around two
>possibilities: A) that too much steam will create a
>back pressure in the exh manifold (as mentioned early
>on in the original topic)

Properly atomized (the more and the finer the better) water in the exhaust
manifold will increase the backpressure. This increase backpressure is what
will spool the turbine faster--just as a smaller nozzle will. The TRICK is
in learning just HOW MUCH water is needed so as to spool the turbine faster
without creating TOO MUCH additional backpressure.

and B)that the H2o mist will
>be vaporizing at the wrong time due to droplet size.
>
>I would suppose that the ideal condition has the H2o
>vaporizing as it enters the turbine so that the full
>velocity of the vaporization increases the turbine
>speed - which is what the goal is.

You've answered you own question here !!

Greg