[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 1, Issue 506

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 12 06:40:01 GMT 2003

At 10:42 PM 1/11/03 -0800, you wrote:
>What if you ran it through an LN trap and liquefied it?  Put the carefully
>measured liquid in your container, allow it to return to ambient
>temperature, voila, high pressure NG, no pump required.  I used to work in a
>cryogenic lab, we did this all the time...in fact, you can amaze and amuse
>your friends with a few drops of LN in a sealed container that isn't
>cooled...

mmmm - I take it LN = Liquid Nitrogen ?

Costs about a $1 per litre here in bulk, though I have been looking at
a 3 stage stirling compressor to make small qtys of liquid air, I guess
that would do the same thing. Actually, I've been in favour of using
methane for a while and this might be a way to do it, its almost the
perfect fuel, little CO/CO2, mostly H2O exhaust, no sulphur. But the
drawback is the high pressure tank :(

Is there a solvent one could use for methane, much like acetone is
a solvent for acetylene and no I dont want an acetylene tank in my
boot ~`:o

Thanks for the post, like the cooling idea, is a cheap stirling
cryo coolar avail around the place - if so can I chill my tank
in the car and get away with it that way <:o

rgds

Mike