[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 14:09:05 GMT 2003

I read the following ideas on WI using a water / methanol mix in ali
headed and manifolded engines. Whilst I do not agree with the posters
comments I'd like to hear the "panels" thoughts, especially Greg
Herrmanns.

Thanks. Quoted message below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Quoted ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most of the time, there is no forced induction so the air is cold. If
water injection is installed, the compressed air is cooled anyway so
how does the throttle-plate get hot?

Furthermore, far more water is injected than is actually needed to
cool the charge because the excess water is useful later on inside
the combustion chamber. This excess water will not evaporate fully in
the throttlebody because the intake charge is already at its dew
point and the excess will remain in suspended liquid form. Some of
this will inevitably end up on the aluminium throttle-plate.

Finally, in this case, evaporation is a transient phenomenon. It does
not happen instantaneously. Even if only the exact amount of water
required to reach the dew point of the charge were to be injected, we
will find that full evaporation is only achieved some distance down
the air-flow due to mixing and insulation effects. This means that
locally there will be pockets of liquid suspended in the air.