[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

JET justhompson9172 at msn.com
Thu Jan 23 18:26:42 GMT 2003

> You get the benefit of an intercooler, plus the
> benefit of water injection.  Seems to me that having
> both would be a bit better than having just WI, but
> there's a lot of plumbing you don't have, plus the
> weight...  And of course, no pressure drop through the
> IC.  So it may end up being better than both together.
>  And it would appear on the face of it that WI is
> better than just a plain IC in terms of mass of air
> charge in the cylinder per cycle.

I do not agree with this at all.  The benefit of the IC far outweighs the
benefit of WI.  Without an IC you can run a max of 9 psi, with a good FMIC I
am running 20 psi, with water injection it goes up to 23 psi (all on a DSM
on pump gas).  I have never seen anyone try it, but I would think you could
only run ~13 psi on just WI.  Yes it will cut down on lag, but give me 200
RPM more lag  for an extra 7-8 psi!

JET