[Diy_efi] AW11 MR2again

David d_cottrill at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jun 15 15:22:14 GMT 2003

OK, the 4 AGZE is correct, but the supercharger algorithm is run off its
own independent sensors (3) and the program for that is relatively
simple (a few logic gates and its all good from there). This is also why
I thought of mapping the injection to manifold air pressure, so it's
still useful once the pressure becomes positive. The boost is currently
up to 8 psi (12 psi sitting in the shed) and yes, that=92s why I'm
including the knock sensor on the list (its fitted as standard). I'm
working on the fix-it option but the previous efforts have proved
fruitless, including hacking the chip. The only option I haven't
exhausted is taking the car to Neal Bates motorsport which is a toyota
WRC race team (won a local road race in an identical car when they were
new) who are also nice enough to work on any car with deep enough
pockets.
Doing my own ECU is likely to be the cheapest, if most difficult way of
fixing the MR2 and it happens to be a field I'm interested in. Starting
off with a background knowledge close to 0 means I want to start small,
as small as possible and build on that. Once I have the postie bike
working I may figure out how to make it work for the whole car at once,
but for now the module idea has more pros than cons.
For the hardware on the bike I'll be canniballising the throttle body,
injector and maybe fuel pump off a cylinder for something in the 600cc
range then making or buying a new inlet manifold with a an aftermarket
foam air filter. For sensors I'm going to try to use 4AG sensors
wherever possible so there's less screwing around recalibrating things
later.

What is alpha n?

Also thanks to everyone for your help so far, 36 hours has been more
helpful than asking random mechanics for a week. I now have an idea of
what I'm up against and what to check when shopping for bits.