[Diy_efi] Electronic expertise requested

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Thu Jun 19 21:24:39 GMT 2003

Dan,

For you, the answer is probably 2 sets of injectors.  The
backup set perhaps would not need to be quite as optimum.
How about a different EFI for each cylinder, if you could run
with one dead.

Here I am contemplating a Q-jet system, then add port injectors.
With EFI the fuel inlet to the carb is off.  If the EFI dies, I just
turn on the gas to the carb.

An injector driver has a transistor that usually fails short
(injector full on).  Adding another parallel transistor won't
make the short go away.  When the injector is turned off,
the energy kicks back to the driver.  Getting all these things
to transfer over after a failure will be tough.

The reliability business will never be simple, we take it
pretty seriously in the phone business.  It reduces to this.
Analyze every possible "what if" that could possibly go
wrong.  That is not a short list.  Then figure a way to back
up anything.  Trouble is, the new parts added have to be
analyzed all over, generating a new list of problems.  It
never ends, just try to converge quickly on an acceptable
level of failure.

Bruce Roe