[Diy_efi] Flyback Circuit: was new EFI controller

David Hooke davidh at winyarra.com.au
Wed Mar 12 22:23:26 GMT 2003

Marcel,

I beg to differ.

In a perfect world, Vbatt and Ground to the controller have low source
impedance, so dumping large currents into either of them will be fine. I
reality, we generally have much lower impedance on the ground line than
on the Vbatt, because we've designed and wired our systems that way.

There's generally a low impedance path from the injector + to the
battery (maybe via a relay).
There's a low impedance path from the injectors to the switching device
and clamp. Ditto from ECU ground to battery. We know this 'coz we used
big wires, lots of connector pins and a ground plane to ensure it.

There's a much higher impedance from the ECU supply to the battery:
smaller wires, a fuse, not many connector pins, board traces instead of
a ground plane. So the large flyback currents will take the path of
least resistance which is not back to the injector+ via the battery
wire, but through the power supply decoupling to ground (and hence back
to the injector+), and those caps will not handle the currents involved:
two things may happen, the caps'll blow up as you exceed their peak
current rating, and the voltage at this point will rise considerably,
(V=I*Zesr), which will stress the regulator etc. Use Kirkhoff's current
law, with the injector as the current source..

Your circuit is best deployed not in the ECU, but directly across the
injectors where the return path  is not going to affect other things.
Then I'd agree with what you say.

davidh