[Diy_efi] Exhaust manifold pressure sensors

J TheGreatJ
Mon Apr 25 17:56:16 UTC 2005

Ahhh the infamous DPFE sensor.  It's actually used to detect a pressure drop
across a restriction in the EGR tube on the exhaust side of the vavle, to
detect the flow rate through the tube to ensure proper EGR operation.  It's
also one of the most common failure parts on late-90's Ford vehicles.  We
replace 1-2 a week (on average) at my shop.  They've been redesigned 3 or 4
times, and they still tend to fail.  I would stick with the 2- or 3-bar MAP
sensor and a moderately long hose (maybe 2-3ft) for temp. isolation.