[Diy_efi] A/F mixture, EGT and engine damage

Tim Marsteiner tmarstei
Mon May 16 19:44:34 UTC 2005

Some owners of my type of motorcyle have reported
burnt exhaust valves and cracked cylinder heads. I
have logged data running one of the standard factory
tunes showing peak EGTs >1500 F and A/F > 13.2:1 at
WOT. I have also recorded even higher EGTs (1663 F) at
mid to low engine loads.

This page shows Avg EGT, Peak EGT and the number of
samples at each operating "cell" in the map (TPS vs
RPMs).

http://www.superxtune.com/images/8320Cyl2_egt.jpg

Any opinions on which of the above conditions is doing
the most (if any) damage?

At mid to low engine loads do you need to be concerned
with high EGT or should I just focus on richening up
the higher engine load points?

Thanks,
Tim

I have experimented and cannot get the

Does high EGT mean the exhasut valve is in danger?