[Diy_efi] Speed Density EFI adaptable to V-Twin?

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed May 25 19:34:37 UTC 2005

--- "Kalmbach, Kevin D"
<kevin_kalmbach at storagetek.com> wrote:

> Is there a reasonably well hacked, speed density,
> weatherproof ECU, with O2 sense that I could get
> from a 'yard and use on a Harley Vtwin?

You'd either have to get something eminently
programmable, or with the same v-angle as your bike.
A tough call.

> In reality this ends up being more mature then the
> current H-D Delphi units

What do you mean by "more mature"?  The Delphi unit is
by far the most advanced OE motorcycle ECU ever
available.  Who else incorporates ion sensing?  the
Delphi unit, by the way, is both programmable, runs
closed-loop, and is speed-density at small throttle
openings.

> and certainly more sophisticated than the
> Weber-Marelli Alpha-n lump that's on it now.

What is your objective?  Alpha n is perhaps the best
choice for low-idling v-twins, especially if you plan
on modifying cam timing at all.  Speed density is
mostly used because it can provide better emissions
control.  Ducatis, for instance, have always used
straight alpha-n systems, and I can't see a Harley
engine having much on a Ducati engine in terms of
sophistication (or power, or responsiveness).

> In the past you have pointed out several decent
> Alpha-N options (thanks Marcello), but I'd like to
> try to go as modern as I can.

Again, I question what your objective is...  Since
"modern" speed density units were developed
specifically to address questions emissions, do you
feel the need to attempt to make your bike more
emissions-compliant?  The Delphi unit is more 'modern'
than any other factory or aftermarket unit I can
currently think of, but you already dismissed that (?)...

| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |