'98 Vortec 350 - Good swap into a Jeep?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jul 7 18:35:11 GMT 1999

Ken Kelly wrote:

> I'm confused by all the comments on changing the intake,
> etc. Using a Non-OBD-II computer does not require
> changinging the intake manifold and Fuel system.
>Any of the
> TPI or later electronics could be used with the existing
> Intake.
Requires it?  No.  I was showing some options for cost effectiveness.
Do I know whether the Vortech engine he's looking at is complete w/
manifold?  No.  Will I say the only way to go is with the Vortec
manifold?  No.

> What was the 95 computer used in
> chevy trucks? Is it compatable with the wiring harness?

Is the 95 PCM plug-n-play with 96 harness?  Nope, it's not even
close.  The 95 pickup used a dizzy based tbi system with the 16197427
PCM.  Talking auto trans, 1/2 ton, 350 engine.  Vortech engine uses no
distributor (technical point), crankshaft sensor, sequential pfi.

> Using a 730 or 747 would be a lot more work because of all
> the custom wiring required,

Depends on your idea of work.  Modifying a harness one time can be
less work and frustration than multiple attempts at modifying ecm
tables.  I would suggest to a novice using a setup close to an
existing calibration to start with.

>although you may be able to use
> the harness and most of the sensors off the old TPI system
> if the locations are similar.

Vortec units are different from previous pfi systems.  Physical
changes to the wiring harness should be a minor issue, though.
Shannen