a MAF too small

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Fri Jul 23 18:26:17 GMT 1999

> The 1986 to 1989 Corvette, Camaro and Firebird use a Bosch MAF sensor that
> is a 0 to 5 Vdc sensor not a frequency type sensor (like that used on the
> 1994 and newer Corvette, Camaro and Firebird).

If that's the case, then that sounds just like the sensor used on the
mustangs, which is a bridge type sensor, and if memory serves, is made by
bosch as well.  I _know_ that the two sensors are not identical (I had an 89
mustang and currently own an 89 vette), but if the connectors can be adapted,
that may be the best way to go, i.e. switching to a ford maf meter... the
housings are both cylindrical, and the connector side on both can be faced in
any direction.  I would also bet that the response curves are very close to
one another, so basically all you have to do is call jegs or summit and get a
large ford maf (75-80mm) with the right calibration tube for your injectors;
splice in the right connector, and voila!  Smooth idle and no peaking values,
and the computer doesn't have to be reprogrammed.  This works very well on
fords, no reason why it shouldn't work on gm ecm's.

Daniel