Call for standards: EPROM/cal editing software

Paul Blackmore paul_blackmore at xtra.co.nz
Fri Nov 3 20:36:50 GMT 2000

Not that I have any software producing/using this sort of data, but I think
the idea of standards is great and this is one area that standards will make
things easier (for both developers and users).

Here's the thing: as well as standardising the *format* (or template) of the
data, why not also make it self describing so that *any* application can
read it.

OK, what I am suggesting is to use XML. "We" could make up a Document Type
Declaration (DTD) that defines the data. It would be extensible, portable,
human readable and above all there are many shareware/freeware XML (gui)
editors available. The best thing is that more elements can be added without
breaking older versions of software that use previous versions of the XML
document.

For example in the following data (re-using Steve Ravet's example data)
and this is just off the top of my head so it may contain syntax errors....

To access the PromID address you would use an XPath like this:
XPath("/image/Prom ID/address/text()")

To access the number of columns in the Idle Temp Correction table you would
use an XPath like this:
XPath("/image/IdleTempCorrect/columns/text()")

<image>
  image_size="0x1000"
  file_offset="0"
  checksum_addr="0"