TBI idle problem

Brent WildKat at paonline.com
Sun Nov 5 04:37:03 GMT 2000

Hey folks,

   I would be most grateful for any input on the following problem.   I
recently swapped a 747 (making the appropriate pin changes) into an 88 TBI
T/A with 700R4.  The car started life with a 305 TBI and the 1228063 ECM.  A
350 sbc was installed with irons heads 9:1 CR, edelbrock TBI cam,  Edelbrock
TBI Performer intake and the 65lbs/hr injectors.  Ran rich at idle and threw
code 43's like mad.  The cam and head specs are pretty durn close to a 91
full size Chevy truck 350.  Figured a truck bin should be close.

I started with the ARJT code from a 91 2500 Chevy PU.   I adjusted the BPW
lower to compensate for the 65er's vs the 55er's normally used.  Ended up
with a BPW of 120.  Gave 126-128 INT and BLM cross the board during cruise.
No knock counts.

The problem I'm have is a surging idle and stalling some times.  The spark
table is stock.  Same values from 30-50KPA and 400 -1400rpm.

Unfortunately I'm far away from the car.  This is an attempt to help a
friend.  Any ideas where I should start?  This bin is stock except the the
BPW, TCC lock up, and EGR enable temp is raised to max (00).   The engines
are fairly similar spec wise.  Am I chasing a hardware problem?

Thanks for any incite.

Regards,
Brent