730 ECM Swap

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 03:14:05 GMT 2000

Which is the fun part, figuring the pin conversions or soldering all the pins
and wires? This is what I think you'll need. One header to accept the two
1227165 connectors. I believe these are a 24 pin black micropak and a 32 pin
black micropak. The header pins (normally soldered to a PCB) will have to be
soldered to wires. These wires, with the micropak female terminals soldered
on, will then have to be inserted into three 1227730 micropak connectors, one
32 pin yellow connector, one 32 pin black connector, and one 24 pin black
connector. I can figure the pin conversions or someone else here can do it
and post it. As for the sensor side of things, a jumper could be fabricated
at the ESC module to use the existing knock sensor wire and bypass the ESC
module, and the MAF connector wires could be tapped so that you could keep
the MAF or use a MAP sensor but not both at the same time (no need to
anyway). If I do the pin conversion chart, at least it will be consistent
with what I have in mind at the sensor end. If I am leaving anything out,
someone else chime in. For ex., is there enough difference between a 1986-88
MAF and 1989 MAF to warrant any extra thought? 1985 owners will just have to
wing it.

Also, Packard is slow to respond to my part # requests so this could take up
to a month. While I'm at it, anyone know if the '165 black connectors are the
same as the ones for the '730? This will save me some time since I already
know the 7730 connector part #s and I don't currently have a '165 to compare
to.

JW