News Release - Maybe this will make life a little easier

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Mon Nov 6 15:43:31 GMT 2000

This is great news , however I wouldn't hold any breath for a drastic
change  in what diagnostic , programming
information actually gets released to the public domain. Interesting, in
the fact that during the lobbing effort to
afford this bill to pass into California Law the ONLY auto manufacturer to
oppose it in the final stages was G.M.
OBD1 service  and software  detail , release  to the Aftermarket have been
tied up in various court proceedings
since 1981. OBD2 information is likely to continue to be a money maker for
lawyers and not for the Aftermarket. All
that's necessary is for an auto maker to tie it up in the courts , for
years or decades . Interestingly , Ford has made
some OBD2 programming and calibration information available to the
Aftermarket , prior to the California  Law enactment.
We applaud the APSA , SEMA  and others for their efforts , still there's
much work to be done.
Len