head gaskets

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Wed Nov 15 14:48:55 GMT 2000

> From: Programmer [mailto:nwester at eidnet.org]
> Subject: Re: head gaskets
>

> It's a bigger problem with the OHC heads...cam bore distortion gets
> pretty bad with a re-torque after machining beyond the spec. We
> just chuck 'em...it's not worth a comeback.

I had an Izuzu 2.6L that overheated (not like that was common), and there
was a 6-month backorder time from Izuzu on new castings.  My head was warped
0.009", service was something like 0.006".  I had it machined flat (I needed
wheels ASAP), and the cam ended up breaking 10,000 miles later.   Learned a
lesson about OHC engines from that, and I can proudly say that I haven't
broken a cam since:)

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante