GM Fuel Pump control scheme

Louis Baiani nepti at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Feb 1 00:13:49 GMT 2001

Hey guys,

I have a an 84 Buick Century (closed loop carburator control), which has a fuel
pump as well, and it takes a while to crank (especially in the cold) when the
engine is cold before it starts.  I know i'm getting power to the relay, probably
from the ECM...it could be the relay is bad.  Now, that relay must have a contact
for the ECM, and one from the block to power the fuel pump?  I remember one day,
the oil switch did stick, and the engine started with the remaining fuel
pressure, but unfortunately when I touched the gas, it stalled.  To move the car,
I had to bypass some power directly to the pump.  The next day, the oil switch
kicked in again, and everything was fine again.  So from way back when they
started this, they always had the ECM's driving the fuel pump as well?

So can anyone give a simple schematic for this?  How long is "too long" regarding
slow starts?  In cold weather, the Buick takes like 4 seconds to kick off.

Thanks,

Louis